Choosing the right cricket bat can enhance your cricket career and allow for better development and progression. One must consider various factors thoroughly before purchasing a good cricket bat as it has a big influence on how you play and the amount of runs you score. The five most important factors to be considered are listed below:
Size: Choosing the right size of your cricket bat can be vital as it determines your stroke play and development. One should choose a bat which is not either oversized or undersized and provides just the perfect balance. Also, before making the purchase, it is advisable to practice your batting stance and assess whether the bat is too high or too small.
Weight: It’s important to have the right bat with the right weight and it may vary from player to player. Some players prefer a heavier while the others prefer a lighter bat. Choose the bat which feels the best and assess whether you can play shots with ease from that weight of bat.
Grips: It’s up to the individual to choose a bat with one grip or two. Some players prefer two grips on the handle as it makes them feel more comfortable while playing. The bats with two grips can increase the bat speed and enhance stroke play. Also, the choice of grip is important as the type of handle may determine the heaviness of the bat when playing shots.
Pick Up: To choose the best Pick Up is of personal preference – there is no hard and fast rule on pick up and can be selected based on individual style and overall feel. One can also choose from the various brands with different styles that are available in the market today.
Maintenance of Cricket Bat: One should oil the bat at regular intervals for its long lasting use. Also, in case of any damage it should be repaired at once and during off season it should be kept away from heat.
To get admission into a good College in today’s date, one needs to do well in the Entrance exams. These exams unlike other knowledge tests ask questions that go beyond a specific curriculum and help define the career of a student in the long run. There are several such exams that are conducted and one needs to be sharp enough and strategize well to be able to score the maximum. Below mentioned are some of the ways that will guide you on how to focus better while preparing for your Entrance exams.
Self Belief & Knowledge: You should have a strong belief in your abilities and focus your positive energy in the right direction. Moreover, proper knowledge about the concepts can be achieved by practicing questions on a regular basis. You should also learn to relax while competing academically and stay organized by preparing in advance.
Syllabus & Exam Pattern: You should know the syllabus and exam pattern very well so as to save the first few minutes of the total time given to solve the paper. A good way of doing so is to solve the previous years’ test papers which will give you a fair understanding of the exam pattern of that particular exam.
Preparing for Exam: The candidates preparing for these Entrance exams should focus on solving questions through mental calculations. They should also cultivate a habit of attentively reading a national newspaper daily. This will increase their basic understanding of concepts, sharpness of mind and knowledge.
Time Management: Time management is the key to success in these exams. One should gradually practice the skill to attempt as many questions in the given time limit. This can be achieved by being able to strategize time to solve the easier subjects first followed by the tough ones.
Sample Papers: The best way to perform in any exam is to solve as many similar types of Sample Papers for such exams. With the help of these sample papers, our mind can build strategies and tricks about particular types of questions which ultimately take less time in solving and increase in the revision time.
As summer approaches, parents get busy finding the right activity to engage their kids with during holidays. A summer activity for kids not only entertains and engages them but also helps them develop many essential skills. One such way is to engage in sports as it provides natural and fun opportunities for kids to get regular exercise. To ensure success in keeping your children busy during summer vacation, try any of the five sports mentioned below:
- Swimming: Swimming is beneficial as a summer activity for kids of all ages. This activity involves a lot of exercise, fun and considerable amount of respite from the increasing heat during summer time. It also helps build endurance and muscle strength if done on a regular basis. For practicing this sport, you will need swimming costumes, swimming caps, goggles, and trunks and of course a clean swimming pool
- Soccer: An excellent form of exercise, it helps kids stay fit and instills in them a sense of discipline, teamwork, leadership and self-esteem that stick for life. You will require footballs, soccer shorts, shin guards and football boots to start with!
- Badminton: A high-speed game, Badminton can be easily picked up by kids of ages five and above. If played regularly, it improves eye-hand coordination and alertness thereby elevating the mood. Get hold of good badminton racquets, shuttle cocks, nets, badminton shoes, badminton apparel and get going!
- Tennis: Kids who start playing tennis from the age of four display a higher degree of academic performance and memory owing to the sport’s requirement of alertness and tactical thinking. For this sport, you need to buy good quality racquets, tennis balls, a pair of good tennis shoes and appropriate apparel (e.g. tennis shorts, tennis skirts )
- Trekking: Kids seem to love trekking trips! You can make it a family activity or enroll your child for a Camp organized by some Club that specializes in it. Trekking helps inculcate a love for nature in the kids and they also learn basic survival skills. You can start with getting caps, hats, trekking shoes, trekking shirts and trekking pants to begin...and you might need backpacks and sleeping bags too.
However, before signing the kids for a particular sport, the parents should consider a child's personality, whether the sport is of his choice and his developmental level!
Swimming is a great and one of the most fun-filled summer activity for kids of all ages. This activity relieves stress, builds confidence and boosts mental skills for kids of all ages and abilities. For practicing this sport, one needs to have a pair of swimming costumes, spectacles, cap and trunks! Also, don’t forget to follow these safety measures while indulging in this sport.
- Walk slowly in the pool area. Don't run.
- Read and obey all safety signs and Pool rules.
- Be careful not to accidentally hurt someone or yourself.
- Swim with a buddy, your parent, an adult or instructor.
- Don't chew gum or eat while you swim — you could choke.
- Don’t go through any pool gate if it is closed. Stay safe and stay out!
- Don't swim in the dark and ensure there are no broken pieces of glass around.
- Always swim where a lifeguard can see you and in areas that are marked for swimmers to use.
- Wear a life jacket if you don't know how to swim or if you're not a strong swimmer.
- Wear the necessary accessories like the swimming costumes, spectacles, cap and trunks that will help you enjoy your swim!
- If you're just learning to swim, stay in the shallow end and swim at a depth that is safe for you.
- Drink plenty of water and fluids when you're outside swimming and playing so you don't become dehydrated.
Prof. Noam Chomsky, shares his thoughts on the purpose of education, impact of technology, whether education should be perceived as a cost or an investment and the value of standardised assessment.
or is he? Next year will be the centenary of his Nobel, and he would have been 151. Tagore is hardly a household name outside of Bengal and wasn't otherwise earlier either but through his English and other language translations, through his talks and lectures and his quite out of the common dress and charisma, he left pieces of his legacy wherever he went.
Rarely has there been a man who holds the keys to a peoples' culture for so long. One major way of Rabindranath Tagore reaching the masses certainly has been his writing (be it verse of prose). The other way is by Rabindra Sangeet (Tagore music). Being the versatile genius he was, Tagore wrote the poetry and put them to tune as well. The reach of Rabindra Sangeet has traditionally been limited not only by the language but also the rigid following of the conventional methods by which they have been performed. The instruments used have always been the harmonium, tabla, and the metronomic rhythm.
However, as Rabindra Bharati (the university that Tagore founded) loses copyright over his works many talented musicians have started injecting fresh blood into Tagore's conventional music which is fast losing currency. The lyrics remain, the music is contemporary and energetic, thus starting to pull the youth of today back in.
This re-insurgence has started pulling people slowly back to Tagore's works as well.
KOOLSKOOL pays humble homage to Gurudev Rabindranath on his 150th year.